One of the most common area of concern for men is the abdomen. This is because men generally store most of their fat around the waist. Genetics may also play a big role in the appearance of the male abdomen.
Through liposuction, Dr. Moenster can give the abdomen a more athletic appearance. She accomplishes this by strategically removing fat from the abdomen, waist, and love handles. By suctioning fat from the individual abdominal muscles, she can reveal a more pleasing abdominal contour.
The best candidates for male abdominal contouring are:
- Individuals who are at a reasonably good weight
- Males with areas of abdominal fat that are unresponsive to exercise and diet
- Individuals with good skin tone and elasticity
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical condition that can impair healing
Prior to general or local anesthesia, Dr. Moenster will mark your abdomen with lines to guide her surgical incisions. Using an instrument called a cannula, Dr. Moenster will insert it through the incisions to sculpt the abdominal muscles by removing excess fat. The dislodged fat is then suctioned out of the body using a surgical vacuum or syringe attached to the cannula. Scars will be minimal as the incisions are small.
Length of Surgery
Abdominal contouring can take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on the area or areas that are being treated.
Recovery, Risks and Results
Once the procedure is complete, a compression garment may cover the treatment area. This will help control swelling and compress the skin to your new body contour. This garment is worn for 4-8 weeks post operatively.
As with any surgery, there are risks associated with abdominal contouring for men. Risks may include:
- Reaction to anesthetic
- Loss of sensitivity on the abdominal skin
- Irregular contours or asymmetries
- Possible revision surgery
- Persistent swelling
- Excessive scarring of the skin
- Post-operative infections
- Blood clots
Patients can almost always expect bruising and swelling after abdominal their contouring procedure. It is not uncommon to have numbness or changes in sensation to the area for 8-12 weeks.
Abdominal contouring results will be long lasting with the understanding that the candidate maintains a stable weight and general fitness. Body contour will be apparent when the swelling and fluid retention commonly experienced following abdominal contouring, subsides. Specific results may include:
- Thinner midsection with less abdominal fat
- More defined abdominal muscles